About the Museum
The Yamanashi Prefectural Museum of Art opened to the public in 1978. Today, we continues the commitment to promote art culture. Starting with the first acquisition, Jean-François Millet's The Sower, the museum has expanded its collection including other works by Millet, other Barbizon School artists and major European landscape artists. The museum has thus come to be known as the "museum of Millet". Furthermore, we have rich collections of modern and comtemporary Japanese artists. Thanks to many individuals' generous donations, today the museum's collection amounts to approximately 10,000 works.
In 2004, the South Wing was added to the main building, offering more space for exhibitions, additionally in 2009, Millet Wing has opened, which is especially for works by Millet and Barbizon School artists.
Permanent Collection A
(Millet Collection Gallery)
- 9:00-17:00(admission until 16:30)
- Mondays (the next day if this falls on a national holiday), days after national holidays, year-end and New Year. The museum may also be open or closed on special occasions.
Persons 65 or older Persons 65 or older,
Yamanashi residents only
Free Free Special Exhibition 1,000yen
Free Permanent Collection
+ Special Exhibition
1,260yen 590yen - - Museum of Art
and Literature Passport
670yen 340yen Free Free
*( )indicates the discount prices for advance tickets, a group of 20 persons and more, and tourists stay at hotels or inns in Yamanashi.
No admission charge for the persons as follows:
・Students in high school or below.
・Persons 65 or older （for Special Exhibitions,Yamanashi residents only).
・Persons with disabilities and one accompanying person with them.
・All visitors on November 20 (Yamanashi Citizen’s Day).
※Ask for free tickets at the Ticket Counter.
※Present your ID : driver license, medical insurance card, student ID or any valid identification.
- Other Discount Tickets
- The following discount tickets are available
With vouchers or receipts of hotels or inns in Yamanashi, on the day of the stay or the day after, you will receive about 20% discount for admission.
One-year unlimited admission for any of our Collectionsand Exhibitions.Perfect gifts for art lovers
[Museum Kai-in Passport (Annual Passport for 4 differentprefectural museums)]
One-year unlimited admission for any of the Collections and Exhibitions in the four prefectural museums in Yamanashi; including Prefectural Museum of Art, Prefectural Museum of Literature, Prefectural Museum of Archaeology and Prefectural Museum. In addition, 42 museums in the Museum Kai Network offer the passport holders discounts and special privileges.
>>Museum Kai Network
- Free Parking lot for 345 cars, 16 buses and 6cars for those with disabilities.
- Free-of-charge lockers (A 100-yen coin will return after use)
- Information Desk
- We Provide information about the Museum, transportation, and more. Baggage and coat check service is also available at the desk.
- Wheel Chair, Baby Buggies
- Please ask museum staff for wheel chairs and baby buggies.
- Restroom for ostomates, baby seat, nursing room
- We have one restroom for ostomates and one nursing room as well.Baby seats are set up in each restroom.
restroom for ostomates
- Museum Shop
- Museum Shop is located on the 1st floor. Catalogs, books, postcards, reproductions and other merchandise are available.
- Restaurant - Art Archives
- Approximately 70 seats are available at Art Archives.
Hours 9:30-17:00 (last order 16:30)
- For the Visitors in the Gallery
- Do not touchany of the exhibits.
- Do not take photographs.
- Do not eat or drink(including candy and gum).
- Do not eat or drink.
- Do not bring umbrellas or large bags.
- Do not use pen or ink.
- Turn off mobile phones.
- No pets except for guide dogs.
- From JR Kofu Station
- ・Take any bus departing from Kofu St. Bus Terminal Midai ,Shikishima Office via Ryuuou,Nirasaki St via Ookusa,Kugawa-Danchi to Yamanashi-Kenritsu-Bijutsu-kan. (about 15minutes).
・By taxi, about 15 minutes. (Approximately ¥1,700)
- Public transportation to JR Kofu Station
- By expressway bus
- ※ Travel time to JR Kofu Station depends on traffic.
Board a Kofu-bound bus (Shinjuku-Kofu line) at Shinjuku Expressway Bus Terminal. About 2 hours and 10 minutes to JR Kofu Station
Board a Kofu-bound bus (Nagoya-Kofu line) at Nagoya Station, Osaka. About 4 hours to JR Kofu Station.
Board a Kofu-bound bus (Kyoto/Osaka-Kofu line) at Abeno-bashi Station, Osaka. About 8 hours and 40 minutes to JR Kofu Station.
※ For more details, go to Yamanashi Kotsu web site.
- By Car
From Kofu Showa IC (Chuo Expressway):Proceed in the direction of Shosenkyo/Yumura from the toll booth, go 200 m and turn left. Continue on then turn left at Tokugyo Rittai Minami, go about 2 km and turn left at Kugawa Koban-mae,and go about 1 km on Route 52. The museum is located on the left.
- Around Map